Friday, May 6, 2011

Welcome to Vegg On the Rock

Welcome to the first ever (that I know of) vegetarian diary/blog here in St. John's.

For those of you who have no idea who the hell I am, I am Veggie Daddy, vegging out here on the rock of Newfoundland. The reason for this blog? You can't buy tempeh anywhere in this entire city of St. John's.

"What the hell is tempeh? I have never heard of such a thing!" you might say. That's a good question.

"Why the hell would I want to eat tempeh?" Another great question.

Hence this blog. I am a thirty-something unemployed skinny ("Chicken-Legs" I used to be called) dad and I want my tempeh! And I am shocked, not really, that the world is going forward, at least the people in it are (some of the people anyway) that with all the info out there, the Dominion here in St. John's tells me that there is not enough demand here for tempeh. Let's get this under-rated/valued commodity here on the rock.

So that's mainly what this blog is for. It will also be a food diary about what I am eating each day, and what goes on in that crazy head of mine when I make a choice about what to eat and why I choose to eat it. Most of this info is already out there, of course. But for some strange reason, no one here on the rock wants tempeh. I am determined to get to the bottom of this, even if it's my last bite on earth. Huh?

More posts to come, hopefully of the educational/informative kind. Feel free to vent/comment.

Question of the day: Why the hell don't you want to buy any tempeh?

Eat Bright,
Veggie Daddy


7 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I bought Tempeh back from Florida last month and shared it with my friends. Some other friends of mine always bring back a load when they go to Toronto. I am going to do the same next week. Halifax has a decent supply, i don't see why it can't make it over our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We have contacted Dominion and they have said there is simply no demand here in St. John's. We even asked Food For Thought, the only health food store here, if they have it, and they said the same thing: no demand!

    Though now I am hearing that fermented soy isn't all that good for you, that the Japanese have the highest rates of stomach cancer. Don't know if this is true...

    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/fermented-foods/types-of-fermented-foods-in-the-diet.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog while doing a search for tempeh in St. John's. I spent this afternoon looking for tempeh everywhere, but no luck. I'm here visiting family for three weeks and was hoping to make sloppy joes with tempeh this week! I've been impressed with the availability of so many vegetarian and healthy eating staples that weren't here when I was growing up. But no tempeh?? Yet so many fake meat products?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's changing, but we have a long way to go. We make our sloppy joes and chili with TVP, textured vegetable protein. Those fake meat products, frankenfoods as I like to call them, are terrible because they are processed food, too. Check out this great quiz on Slate where you match the ingredients to the "food": http://www.slate.com/id/2297770/?wpisrc=newsletter_rubric

    ReplyDelete
  5. So we can't get tempeh here anywhere??? I know every food has it's evils but I'll stick with soy over meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get Tempeh from Melissa at Real Food Market. She has online ordering. You can have it delivered or pick up at her warehouse on Logy Bay Road on Friday's. shoprealfood.ca is the website

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Angela. Yes, 2 years later, and we finally can get it on the rock. I'd like to think my blog had something to do with it, lol! We've been purchasing our tempeh there as well.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete